2/3 cup cornstarch
1 cup granulated sugar
pinch of salt
1Tbsp pure vanilla extract
3/4 cups cold whole milk
3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup heavy cream
Ganache Pouring Sauce
2/3 cup dark chocolate
1Tbsp heavy cream
4Tbsp powdered sugar, sifted
4-5Tbsp water, warm
16 whole Graham Crackers
12-14 mini Snickers, chopped
- Combine cornstarch, sugar, salt, and milk in a blender/food processor and pulse until well blended. (or combine and whisk vigorously)
- Transfer mixture to a heat proof bowl and place over (not on) simmering water for approx 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pudding is ready when it is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon and leave ribbons when pudding is drizzled on top of itself.
- Add vanilla to mixture.
- Split mixture in half.
- Add chocolate to one half and whisk to combine.
- Add peanut butter to one half and whisk to combine.
- CARAMEL SAUCE
- Place sugar and water into a saucepan over medium/low heat and stir until sugar has dissolved.
- Dissolve any crystals forming on the side with a wet pastry brush.
- Once sugar has dissolved, increase heat to high.
- Do not stir the mixture directly. Using the handle, give the pot a "swirl" to keep the mixture moving. The mixture will start to bubble after a minute or so.
- Once the mixture starts to turn a light golden shade, add the butter and heavy cream. The mixture will bubble wildly. Whisk to combine. (bubbles will subside upon cooling).
- Set aside to cool completely.
- GANACHE POURING SAUCE
- Place chocolate and heavy cream in a bowl over (not on) simmering water.
- Let chocolate and cream sit for 2-3 minutes to melt without stirring.
- Slowly stir mixture to combine.
- Add powdered sugar and mix to combine.
- Add water 1Tbsp at a time, mixing after each addition until pouring consistency is reached.
- Set aside and let sauce cool to warm.
- TO ASSEMBLE
- Create a foil sling by placing a piece of foil in a pan with a 1 inch overhang on each side.
- Place graham crackers side-by-side until bottom of pan is covered.
- Spread a thin layer of chocolate pudding on top.
- Place second layer of graham cracker on top of chocolate pudding.
- Spread a thin layer of peanut butter pudding on top.
- Repeat sub-steps 2-5 until both chocolate and peanut pudding is gone.
- Pour cooled caramel sauce on top and set aside to set.
- Pour cooled ganache sauce on top and add chopped Snickers on top.
- Finish with caramel and chocolate drizzle.
- Place cake in refrigerator for freezer for at least 8 hours to set or overnight.
(Freezer will make the pudding texture to be more like ice cream)
- The recipe will yield one 8x8 cake.
- graham crackers -> chocolate graham crackers
- peanut butter -> Nutella
(Nutella Icebox Cake)
- peanut butter -> caramel OR peanut butter pudding -> caramel pudding
(Twix Icebox Cake, and top with Twix instead of Snickers)
- Cake can be kept in the freezer or refrigerator for up to two days.