6 Tbsp unflavored gelatin (about 8 env.)
1 1/2 cups cold water
2 1/4 cups boiling water
6 cups sugar, plus extra for coating
Extract or flavored oil
1. Line two 8x8 inch pans (or many small) with plastic wrap and spray with non-stick spray. Set aside.
2. Sprinkle gelatin evenly over the cold water in a 6-quart pot. Let sit for 5 minutes, then add the boiling water. Stir until gelatin dissolves, then stir in sugar.
3. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and gently simmer for 25 minutes, stirring constantly, then remove from heat.
4. Pour the mixture into the prepared pans and add flavors and colors as desired, or pour the hot mixture into a mixing bowl to color and flavor, then pour them into the pans.
5. Cover finished containers with plastic and chill at least 4 hours or overnight.
6. Lift plastic from pans, peel off candy, and turn onto a cutting board that's been sprinkled with sugar.
7. Coat a sharp knife with cooking spray and cut candy into 1/2 inch cubes, roll them in sugar.
8. Leave candies on parchment / foil / waxed paper at room temperature for one or two days to allow the outside to crystallize.
9. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks.